3 bruised lemongrass stalks
3 crushed limes leaves
4 cups of water
1 tbsp of red curry paste
1 tbsp of coconut oil
1 tbsp of plain flour
4 tbsp of coconut milk powder (or 200ml of coconut cream)
2 tbsp of fish sauce
optional : softened rice noodles
- In a large pot, place the head and frame of a filleted fish.
- Add three bruised lemongrass stalks, 3 crushed kaffir lime leaves and an onion cut in half.
- Cover with 4 cups of water and simmer for half an hour.
- In another pan, fry 1 tbsp of red curry paste in 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- When fragrant, whisk in 1 tbsp plain flour.
- Continue whisking while adding strained (thru Chux lined colander) stock and then 4 tbsp coconut milk powder, OR 200ml coconut cream.
- Season with 1-2 tbsp fish sauce and the juice of 1 lime.
- Add softened rice noodles if desired.
- Thinly slice fish fillets, if using, and add to the simmering soup with any fish picked from head and frame.
- Pour into deep bowls and garnish with finely sliced kaffir lime leaves, sliced chilli and coriander sprigs.