Flavoured butters are a great way to cook fish with very little effort.
If you make a few different ones and store them in the freezer, they’re ready to grab and cook with whenever you get the fish.
Flavour combinations are only limited by your imagination….think of flavours you enjoy and make them into a butter.
You can pan fry the fillets in a flavoured butter, but my preference is to seal a fillet in a foil package, topped with the butter, and let the flavours infuse while the fish steams to cook.
The same process will work for whole small fish
Start with 50 gr softened salted butter
SUNDRIED TOMATO AND PESTO
3-4 sundried tomato halves, finely chopped 2 tsp pesto
LIME, CHILLI AND SOY
Grated rind from half a lime
¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
HERB AND MUSTARD
1 tsp seeded mustard 1 tsp dried herbs
WASABI AND GINGER
1 tsp wasabi paste
2 tsp finely sliced pickled ginger
GARLIC, LEMON AND BLACK PEPPER
1 small garlic clove, peeled and grated/finely chopped Grated rind from ½ lime
Generous grind black pepper
• Grease a double layer of foil with a little flavoured butter.
• Top with a fillet of fish, and top fillet with 1 tsp of flavoured butter.
• Seal foil package.
• Cook package on BBQ plate on low heat.
• A 1-2 cm fillet should take approx. 10 mins but cooking times will always depend on the thickness of the fillet.
• Carefully open package and serve fillet with buttery juices tipped from foil.