ROASTED TOMATO AND SEAFOOD SOUP – Serves 4
1 KG RIPE RED CHERRY AND TRUSS TOMATOES
8 CLOVES GARLIC, UNPEELED
3 TBSP OLIVE OIL
SPRINKLE OF SALT, PEPPER AND SUGAR
800GR MIXED SEAFOOD (THICK FISH FILLETS, PRAWNS, CALAMARI, OCTOPUS, INCLUDING AT LEAST 12 LIVE BLACK MUSSELS IN SHELL)
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Roughly chop tomatoes and spread onto an oven tray.
- Scatter over garlic cloves, oil and seasonings.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until tomatoes are well softened with some browned edges.
- Meanwhile prepare seafood. Cut fillets into 2cm chunks, and remaining seafoods into similar sized pieces. Make sure mussels shells are clean.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from cloves and tip all ingredients into a large saucepan.
- With a stick blender, puree tomatoes and garlic until they become a smooth paste.
- Mix through ½ cup of water. NB If not using live mussels, add 1 cup of water.
- Heat tomato puree to a gentle simmer and add mussels, fish, prawns and any other seafood except calamari and octopus.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add calamari and octopus and again simmer covered for 2 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls evenly distributing seafoods.
- Serve immediately with crusty garlic bread.