Jacobs Well is not the usual destination for most travellers. Driving off the Pacific Motorway into town with the fields of green sugarcane lining the roads, you’d think you were in North Queensland – not so. To fishermen, it’s a mecca of sorts – a great place to escape the big smoke, put the tinnie into the water and drop a line.
Andrew Mirosch, our resident chef/fisherman, recently visited this off-the-beaten-path hamlet. With a small boat hired from the local establishment, Jacobs Well Boat Hire, we putted up to the Pin Bar – where Andrew pulled up a few bream, a flattie and a stingray.
We all know that fishermen will travel long hours just to get to the perfect fishing destination – so an all-terrain, off-road caravan would be something of a godsend to them. That’s where the Gator X from JB Caravans comes in.
The Gator X is one tough predator, fitted with under body armour, nudge bars, recovery points, solar and more. This is complimented by a soft, luxurious high-end interior to unwind in.
You can take a look at the Gator X and the full range of JB Caravans at the Queensland Caravan, Camping & Touring Supershow at the Brisbane showgrounds June 5-10, 2019.
Weber BBQ Whiting Fillets with Pesto Pasta
- 16 whiting fillets or other fresh local fish
- 50g butter
- 2tbs diced capsicum
- 2tbs sliced basil
- 1 tbs capers
- Pepper & salt to taste
- 500g spaghetti cooked, hot
- Baby lettuce leaves or baby spinach leaves
- Japanese sesame dressing (optional – available from specialty Japanese shops)
- 1 lge bunch basil, leaves only
- 100g roasted pinenuts
- 3 loves garlic
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- Juice 2 lemons
- 100g grated parmesan
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place all pesto ingredients in a blender and puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly season whiting fillets with salt and pepper.
- Combine butter, capsicum, basil and capers in a bowl and microwave until hot. Stir and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Coat whiting with a little of the melted butter and grill on weber for a minute or two per side, or until just cooked through.
- Toss hot spaghetti with pesto. Divide between bowls. Top with grilled whiting, drizzle with remaining butter sauce and top with baby leaves and sesame dressing.