150 GR DRIED SOBA NOODLES
300 GR CLEANED CALAMARI
2 SMALL HANDFULS OF BABY SPINACH
10 SNOW PEAS
2 SPRING ONIONS
½ CUP WASABI PEAS
1 TSP WASABI PASTE, OR TO TASTE
½ TSP HONEY
2 TBSP SOY SAUCE
1 TSP RICE WINE VINEGAR
2 TSP SESAME OIL
- In a small bowl, combine honey and wasabi. Gradually add soy, vinegar and oil. Set aside.
- Score calamari flesh on one side and cut into strips approx. 4cm long. Set aside.
- To prepare vegetables: top and tail snow peas and cut into fine lengthwise strips. Remove roots from spring onions and finely slice on diagonal. Wash spinach leaves and drain.
- In a large bowl, place spinach, snow peas and sliced spring onion stalks.
- Place sliced spring onion green tops in a small bowl of chilled water in the fridge to crisp.
- Bring 2-3 litres of water to boil in a large pot.
- Add soba noodles to boiling water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add calamari to pot and cook for a further minute.
- Drain through a colander and quickly tip hot noodles and calamari into bowl of vegetables.
- Pour over dressing and cover with a lid. Set aside for a minute or so. The heat from the noodles will lightly steam the snow peas and wilt the spinach, while the dressing flavours absorb.
- Place wasabi peas in a strong zip lock bag and lightly crush with a mallet or the back of a knife. Set aside.
- Remove lid and toss through crushed wasabi peas, reserving a small handful for garnish.
- Pile onto a plate and scatter with reserved peas and crisped spring onion slices to serve.