Take the road west from Gladstone and you will arrive in The Banana Shire. It’s a region renowned for its produce and pretty views.
Nestled just five minutes outside of Biloela is Lake Callide. For the local fishermen, it’s a bit of a Barramundi mecca. The Callide Valley Fish Stocking Association have been nurturing the population of barra for years, and just recently released the 1 millionth fish fingling into the impoundment. How about those odds!
The dam also has a population of Redclaw that are great on the BBQ!
Steve’s Redclaw Recipe!
- 10-15 redclaw
- Chilli flakes (or garlic, or both!)
- Preheat BBQ or pan.
- Put Redclaw to sleep by them into an icey slurry for 10 minutes, or until they become dormant
- Cut redclaw lengthways in half
- Melt butter on hot ban or BBQ. Add chilli to taste
- Place redclaw onto hot BBQ or pan. Cook until flesh turns from translucent to white, and shells turn red.
- Serve hot
For the adventurers, Kroombit Tops National Park offers a range of bushwalks, hikes and drives to view some incredible scenery.
However, the park’s draw card is Beautiful Betsy – a WWII bomber that tragically crashed in February of 1945. The wreck remained undiscovered for nearly 50 years, when in 1994, a ranger checking on a backburn stumbled across it.
The Razorback Track will take you to the bomber, but a high clearance 4×4 is required.
Lake Callide Retreat
Biloela Countryman Motel