- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes halved
- 150gr marinated olives + marinating oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 chorizo sausage, finely sliced
- 2 chicken thighs, cut into 2-3cm chunks
- 1 ½ cups medium-grain rice
- 700-800 ml fish stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 6-8 peeled green prawns, halved if large
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Lemon wedges
- Extra chopped parsley
- Combine onion, garlic, capsicum, tomatoes, olives, oils, paprika, salt, oregano, chorizo and chicken. Mix well and allow to marinate, for a few hours if possible. If you’re taking it on a picnic, marinate it all in a zip lock bag to transport easily.
- Heat up the BBQ plate and toss all ingredients for a few minutes until lightly browned. Alternately, if the BBQ only has grills, heat foil trays and cook in the trays.
- Scoop ingredients into a double layer foil tray. Use two 29cmx19cmx5cm sized trays.
- Combine tomato paste and stock then pour over bbq ingredients with rice and parsley. Mix well to distribute rice evenly.
- Reduce heat to low and close BBQ lid. Allow Paella to cook for 25 minutes undisturbed.
- Without stirring too much, bury prawn meat into rice and scatter over peas. Add a little water if rice is looking dry.
- Close lid and cook for another 6-8 minutes to cook peas and prawns.
- Serve Paella scattered with extra parsley and offer lemon wedges and aioli to season.
Please note, the crusty base of cooked rice at the bottom of the Paella dish is known as Socarrat and is considered the best part of the dish. Make sure everyone is served some Socarrat in their portion!